WHAT IS PINTEREST ALL ABOUT?
Pinterest is an online pinboard app used for collecting visual pieces of multimedia. Users can interact with each other through liking, commenting, and ‘repinning’ each other’s stuff. Pinterest has become a highly visual medium that gives businesses a chance to engage customers with compelling images and attractive infographics that promote deals and new products.
The best part about Pinterest is that it is free to use and very versatile. It has emerged as an awesome tool for finding and organizing things to save them for later.
Now, I have used enough words like ‘pin’board and re’pin’ning, so what does the pin in ‘Pin’terest actually refers to?
A pin is nothing but a visual bookmark. So, Pinterest is a great app for “visual bookmarking”.
It was co-founded by Ben Silberman, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp who are relatively unknown mostly because of their press-shy nature. According to them, Pinterest is a visual discovery platform and NOT a social network.
HOW CAN IT HELP YOUR BLOG/ WEBSITE/ BUSINESS?
Pinterest offers a strong path to help you build your blog. You can use Pinterest to find content for your blog, grow your audience and increase your website traffic (Every traffic is not bad!).
You believe it or not, Pinterest has over 200 million active monthly users, performing 2 billion searches per month. Just have a look at these astounding facts that will make you believe there’s much more power behind using Pinterest than you think to drive traffic to your blog:
- A pin is 100 times more shareable than your average tweet.
- Each pin can get you up to 2 page visits and 6 page views.
- E-commerce sites are too benefitted from pinning as each pin can generate 78 cents.
- The life of a pin is one whole week while it is 24 minutes for Twitter and 90 minutes for Facebook.
WHEN IS EXACTLY AN IMAGE PINNABLE?
- It should be 600×900 or longer.
- It’s better if it is of professional quality.
- It must be easy to read even on mobiles.
- It should feature a text overlay which gives Pinners an idea of what the source article will give them.
- It’s better if it includes lifestyle images because it allows the person to see themselves in your Pin.
- It should be subtly branded with a small logo or website’s URL.
- It is generally warm in tone, moderately bright, and do not feature faces.